Back in the 1904, a group of citizens from Leeds and the surrounding area founded a new club, AFK Leeds City. Leeds City got to use Eland Road, a city stadium built in 1897 for the needs of local rugby clubs. Leeds had many difficulties through the history and the club had to change their visual identity a few times.
Finally, after several makeovers, Leeds United has been in founded in 1919. Since then, the name of the football club has not been changed.
The club colors (blue and white) were inspired from the Huddersfield Town. Soon enough, Leeds United changed the club colours to blue and yellow.
During the sixties, the club colors were changed to pure white, inspired by Real Madrid, because the club and the players wanted Leeds United to be successful as Real Madrid.
The club’s badge was also changed many times through history. Leeds got its first badge in 1934, it was the city’s crest only. Later on, an owl has been added to the crest followed by the script LUFC.
During 70’s Leeds redesigned the logo and introduced a new one, the famous Leeds City smiley.
The present badge contains a Yorkshire Rose and a curly LUFC script in blue, white and gold colours.
As for the club’s nickname, the first recorded nickname was “The Peacocks” – the name of the public house that is opposed to Elland Road Stadium.
That nick is now used by older fans only while in modern times Leeds United nickname is just simply “United” or “The Whites”. The Whites is clearly related to the clubs jersey color.
VIDEO: Almost 40,000 Leeds fans sing Marching On Together at Elland Road (1:53 Minutes)